Saturday, 15 April 2017

Week 1: Post 1



This week I started my placement. I am completing my placement at Morris & Shannon LLP. Morris & Shannon LLP is a general law firm in Elora that practises all areas of law. They mainly focus on real estate and wills and estates. 

Because I am working in a small office, there was not much of an “orientation.” Upon arriving at the office, I was greeted by Mary, the law clerk who I am working with. I was then introduced to the other law clerks and the lawyer who was there this we week, Ms. Shannon. Mr. Morris was unfortunately on vacation this week. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. After introducing myself, I learned that one of the law clerks used to work with my mom as well as my brother. What a small world! I was then showed around the office and shown the file room. I got to know their system quickly while putting away some of their closed files. 

I was not given a manual of office procedures. When preparing a new document, Mary will usually show me how they prepare it and the format they use. I will then save that document in a folder to use later as a precedent. I have also been keeping a list of important telephone and fax numbers that I have to use often. As well, I have been writing notes on important information that I need to remember. 

One thing that surprised me about the way that they do things is the amount of times they have to go the bank. I never really thought about this before I started working. Being in a small town, they even have to drive to Fergus for certain banks which surprised me. I was also surprised to learn that they use an older version of word. It took me a bit to learn the new set up of the buttons.

I was presently surprised how inclusive and friendly the office was. For example, everyone in the office has a coffee break together in the morning. It is refreshing to see that the people I am working with are friends and the lawyers care enough to take time out of their day to sit and talk about things other than work. In addition, we also all went out to lunch to celebrate Easter on Thursday. I cannot express how kind and inviting the environment around the office is. 

I am looking forward to the rest of my placement!

-Cristina Berardine

No comments:

Post a Comment